Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

The message of today is that we should always take time to act as kids.  What-so-ever spurred this on?  Me picking up the 6th Harry Potter to read the other day.  Ashamed as I am to say this, I never completed the final two books from the epic series.  I was always a big fan, it was just that I never was given or purchased the final two books so I never read them.  Over Winter break, I decided my childhood was not complete until I read these so I went and re-read the first 5 to make sure I remembered what was going on.  But again, I slacked off the rest of the semester because I did not have the books, and I was extremely busy (and my best friend made me read this other book).  But finally, I am getting to it.  I was reading the first few chapters online the last few days, but that was getting annoying.  I went out to a used bookstore with my Nana today and I finally purchased the 6th book.  Blazing through it.

The important thing out of all this is that we should never stop being kids.  Think about it: growing up we always wanted to be the coolest things.  An astronaut, a superhero, a vet.  I was kind of the exception in that I always wanted to be an engineer.  But that was when I thought engineering was just like building legos, not all this math shit.  But as we grow up, our aspirations turn so much more practical and what makes the most money.  While it is important to keep attainable goals and set yourself up for success, it is the attitude that children posses that we should try to harness.  If we did this, there would be no need for anti-depressant medicine and there sure as hell wouldn't be wars.  Of course all of this is unrealistic and impossible to implement on a world setting, but if we can just attempt to change the way each one of us has an outlook on life things may be a little less bleak.

I chose the quote of the day today because I found it relevant to this topic.  One of the things children have over adults is their imagination.  I think this is due to the fact that they do not see boundaries and limits like you do when you are older.  Anything is possible.  Sometimes it is important to just let your imagination run wild.  Enjoy,

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
- Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment