Saturday, May 28, 2011

Friday, May 27th, 2011

OK give me a break, I had no time to blog yesterday.  I started my day at 5 AM like usual and headed to work.  It was definitely the best day of the internship so far.  Also, it was the last day of orientation week which was great.  We got to work on the line once again, but only this time I got to do something.  One of the other interns and I assembled cylinders for a couple hours.  Working with the guys on the line was a great experience because they were very willing to teach us how to do what they work on (maybe it was just because it was a Friday afternoon and they didn't give a shit).  I finally had my chance to earn their respect and be a man when they told me to put one of the cylinders into the barrel.  I didn't think it was going to be too hard, but proved to be quite difficult.  This thing was huge and I was unable to get it in (insert sexual joke here) and one of the production workers had to help me.  Other than that, I did everything else well.

The other part of the day was a product demo of some of their machines. Where my manhood lacked earlier, it was definitely repaired as I drove around a telehandler  (first picture below) and I got to go up 135 feet in the arial work platform (second picture).


It was a little scary being so far up in the air and only supported by a single beam, but I got a hell of a view of the plant and downtown McConnellsburg (picture below).

We were finally about to get off for the weekend when I got to meet my manager for the summer.  He  was a really cool guy that I can already tell I will learn a lot from.  It sounds like there are a lot of cool projects to do this summer and he really knows what he is doing.  Only problem was that he held me really late and my ride was waiting on me.  I got my to see my cubicle that I will be working in, and I have to say that it is just like in the movies.  Let the corporate grind begin.

I headed back to Blacksburg that night, but not without a stop at the outlet mall.  There were great memorial day sales and I got two of the sickest ties ever at Brooks Brothers.  Score.  Kept going down 81 for 4 hours and got to the burg.  Began drinking immediately.  Thanks to the help of some seniors with a stolen handle of aristocrat tequila, the night when downhill quick.  Despite the state I was in, I had a fun night seeing everyone.  As a matter of fact, I am still a little hungover.

I promise I will actually write on time later today.  But don't expect too much as I am trying to do nothing today.  I am too hungover to find a relevant quote for yesterday, but here is one I like anyway.  One thing my manager talked about was how coach in reference to a team and a coach, like one that is drawn by a horse, both mean the same thing: they are something that brings you to where you want to go.  Though that was kind of cool.  Here's the quote,

"The most important thing about having goals is having one." - Geoffrey F. Abert

No comments:

Post a Comment