Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Pursuit of Myself

Today was a phenomenal day.  As I said yesterday, I am spending the weekend in Blacksburg considering there is nothing to do in PA.  Last night was a blast, and I can tell you that by how I felt this morning when I woke up.  I had breakfast with one of my favorite followers/people/leadership team members Sarah at Lucky's on main street.  It was a little rough waking up this morning, but the omelet was just what I needed to get me going for the day.  I came back home and blogged about yesterday and then I got a call from Leslie saying to come to the pool with some lovely Sigma Kappas.  Got a little red laying out, but had a good time regardless.  I was dying to go on a run since there is no where good to run in PA, so I went on the Huckleberry trail which is my favorite place to run.  I will blog about it tomorrow, as it truly deserves it's own post.  A chipotle dinner and I went home to what I consider the climax of the day. 

I watched one of my favorite, if not my favorite, movies of all time: The Pursuit of Happyness.  This movie gets me every time.  For those who haven't seen it, the movie is about Chris Gardner, a man struggling to stay alive in San Francisco as he tries to support his son and follow his dream.  He sells portable x-ray machines that prove to be quite difficult to sell.  As he continues to miss payments on his bills, he sees the opportunity to work as an intern for a stock broker.  The internship can lead to a job, but it is not guaranteed and it is not paid.  He knows that getting this job is the only way out of poverty for him and his son and he does everything he can to rise to the top. 


I will be the first to admit that I cry every single time that I watch this movie.  There are so many invaluable lessons taught by this movie and man, Chris Gardner.  This most important of which is that you can do anything you set your mind to.  It does not matter where you come from, how many people doubt you, or what is standing in your way.  One of my favorite lines is, "if you want something, go get it.  Period."  There is not a person that this does not apply.  Chris Gardner is a real person, and without question one of my biggest role models.  Will Smith plays the part perfectly; I think he is one of the best actors out there.  The way this man loves and will do anything for his son is amazing, and I hope to be half as good of a father as he is.  While the boy may not always understand what him and his father is going through, they stick together and love is truly all they need.


I would love to write more, but I must leave to go out for the night.  If you ever want to watch this truly inspirational movie, please just let me know and we can watch it together.  Just a warning though, I will cry.  The quote of the day comes from this movie and has the power to change your life if you live it, so I encourage you to do so.

"Don't ever let somebody tell you that you can't do something."

No comments:

Post a Comment