Monday, June 6, 2011

Sunday, June 5th, 2011

Late again.  I'm terrible at this.  I do have an excuse if you stick with me.  Yesterday was a great day.  I literally did nothing for a majority of the day.  Watched like 4 hours of tennis, read about 10 chapters of harry potter 7, made a grilled cheese, etc.  It was a great day.  Now that I am a working man, I do not feel bad about doing absolutely nothing on my days off.  The evening was much of the opposite though.

This girl (from the first blog post) and I wanted to be able to see each other for one last time before I am gone the next few weekends, so we though of what to do.  I thought it would be cool if we met halfway between where her and I lived.  Turns out Frederick, Maryland is right in the middle.  Neither of us have ever been to this lovely little town, so it was a little bit of a gamble.  One that as you will see, paid off.  This town is a quaint little historical town with a personality.  The main street is full of unique restaurants, bars, and stores.  I wanted to go somewhere unique, so we hit up a place called Isabella's, which was a tapas bar.  Tapas, for you uncultured folk, are small dishes that are meant to be shared.  You order about 3 or 4 each (which turned out to be too many) and mix and match with each other.  Simply the delicious, especially the pork (maybe chicken?) on bread thing.  After a lovely meal, we decided to cruise around good, ol' Frederick.  Somewhere past the christian-science bookstore and the adult video shop, we found a cool canal that looks just like the one in Venice (or so I could imagine).  Bridges, fountains, musicians, and drunk sketchballs surrounded the canal.  It was really cool just walking around this place checking it out, as I am sure I would never have a reason to go there otherwise.  An hour drive back and I was too tired (and I had to be up in less than 5 hours) to blog.  Sorry 'bout it.

Which leads me to my thought of the night (can't take too long as Wheel of Fortune is about to come on).  Never turn down a chance to try something new.  Opportunities will come to you every once and a while and you will have to decide whether to take the easy route that you are comfortable with or take a risk and step outside of your comfort zone.  I say take the leap.  Following the same route day in and day out will never allow you to discover new things that can become an integral part of your life.  The example I often use (oh crap, have I already blogged about this? ruh row) is how I got a flyer to join the club rowing team.  I decided to take the leap and join and it turned out to be amazing.  Your parents always told you as a kid, "you'll never know you won't like something until you try it."  The same holds true in life as in eating brussel sprouts (sorry Dad, I'm pretty sure I don't need to try those to know I won't like them).  It can be scary, but will almost always pay off in the end.  And if it doesn't, just learn from the experience.


Be back in a few hours to blog about today, I gotta catch up.  But for now, it's Wheel and Jeopardy time!  Since I'm reading HP, here is a quote from the author herself,

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." - J.K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment